Jun 25, 2011

south african lingo


While eating a delicious meal prepared by the Hubbs, I unexpectedly chocked on a piece of corn. After an abrupt cough I preceded to exclaim, "Ugh, I chocked on a milli!" To my surprise Albert began laughing hysterically and asked what a "milli" was. I quickly explained how in South Africa, our family and friends referred to corn as "milli" - don't ask me why, but we did.

This word encounter between the two of us started a whole discussion on the funny (in Albert's mind anyway) words that my family and I have brought over from South Africa.

The list is as follows:

Milli - Corn
Robot - Traffic Light
Tacky - Sneaker
Mince - Ground Beef
Loo - Toilet
Jersey - Sweater
Trolly - Shopping Cart
Ja - Yes/Yea
Pardon - Excuse Me
Chips - Fries
Braai - BBQ

If anyone else thinks of more I will amend the list ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment